Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Where we come from...


I really love to know where I come from. I mean, it's important to me to know who my ancestors and family are and I can only hope that my two girls feel the same way. Mitch feels it's important and that helped me complete this home project. In my dining room I have this long, odd wall and I just didn't know what I should do to fill it up.

My mom happened to be working on a scrapbook for my grandparents' 50th anniversary and I saw an opportunity. I gathered some photos from the pile and then was able to scrounge up enough from my dad's side. I scanned them in and made them the size that I wanted and then bought simple black frames. My mother-in-law was able to help with some older photos from my husband's side to complete the other end. Although I'm not sure my parents nor my in-laws love to know that they adorn our dining room wall, I love it! Margo knows who each of the photos are and what their relationship to her is. If it really means anything to her, I'll never know...but at least feel like I'm instilling that in her early enough for it to stick.

So for the last couple years it's just been black frames floating on this otherwise blank plum colored wall, I had to come up with something else. I love curly-q's so I painted a "frame" around it. I like it...don't know if anyone else does...but it works! I also purchased a "family" plaque to somewhat label it.

Always remember who you are, where and what you've come from and most of all...where you're going.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Melissa, that's so nice! I want to do something similar to that in my hallway.